Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Tough times for large, local employer, parent of Yellow Freight

YRC continues debt swap one more day Dollars & Sense: from the Kansas City Star

We've all read these articles(see link above)--many of them in the last year or so. Articles which tell of the troubles and trials of big industry and the layoffs, bankruptcies and liquidations which follow. And while it may have been popular to bash the corporations as we vented our frustration with overt greed and corruption, I think we also had a tendency to forget all those who worked at those places who were not in the upper echelon, who are really hurt when the corporate giants fall.

Another thought occurred to me. In a way, our large, public companies of the day are not all that different from the Princes, Electors, Bishops and Lords of feudal Europe whom Luther called upon to look after the welfare of those who served them. At the same time, he encouraged the peasants to serve their masters faithfully, trusting in them to protect and provide for them. Through this whole saga, it seems mutual respect has been thrown out the window in favor of shocking headlines and sensational soundbites in our 24 hour news-cycle.

I've been in both worlds. I know the tremendous pressures put upon managers and officers of companies to do things which raise the stock price of a company so that the investors make money. I've been invited to dine and vacation with those who have resources I will probably never experience. But I also know what it is like to live a life with little means, relying upon the generosity of others to provide food, clothing and shelter for my family. I know what it feels like to be dependant upon public assistance and hand-outs.

Perhaps God has given me both experiences so that I can understand both and help our future generations come to terms with this growing chasm between the 'haves' and 'have-mores' (Even the poorest Americans have more than a large part of the equatorial regions of the world) Perhaps there is a lesson for me yet to learn--a message God is revealing to me through his still, small, voice which I am not quite able to hear yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment